Frederick William Walker (1830–1910) was an English headmaster who was successively High Master of Manchester Grammar School and St Paul’s School, London. Walker was born in London in 1830, the son of an Irishman and educated at St Saviour’s Grammar School, Southwark, Rugby School and Corpus Christi College, Oxford. After graduating in the Classics he became a Fellow and Tutor of Corpus and was called to the Bar at Lincoln’s Inn. In 1860 he was appointed High Master of Manchester Grammar School and, as a result of his rapid success in raising the standard of teaching at the school, was obliged to introduce entrance examinations in 1862. Between then and 1876 the size of the school grew from 250 pupils to 750. In 1867 fee-paying pupils were accepted, enabling the school to introduce modern subjects such as science to the curriculum.
In 1877 he left to succeed Herbert Kynaston as High Master at St Paul’s School, the first High Master in over a century not to be in Holy Orders. At St Paul’s he oversaw the move of the school from its historic location in the City of London to a new sixteen-acre site at Hammersmith.
Hope-Pinker was born in Peckham, Surrey, the son of a stonemason and builder employing 5 or 6 men c.1871 in Hove, Sussex, who seems to have taught his son much of his stone-carving skills, although he also attended the Royal Academy Schools (c.1871). Hope-Pinker typically carved without a model from drawings. The bulk of his work was portrait sculpture and John Hunter, Francis Darwin, Jowett, Martineau, Dean Liddell, Henry Acland and Friar Bacon were among his subjects. Hope-Pinker also created a number of monuments including a statue of Queen Victoria at George Town Demerara, Henry Fawcett in Salisbury market place and Lord Reay in India.