Oil on canvas, signed & inscribed lower left
Image size: 30 ¾ x 43 ¼ inches
Hand made frame
Emile Wauters was the nephew of the archivist Alphonse Wauters. He made his debut in Brussels in 1872 with “Rocky Site”, which demonstrated the astounding virtuosity of this young artist who was equally at home depicting figures or landscapes. “The Madness of Hugo Van der Goes” was the beginning of his prestige and each of his commissioned paintings enhanced it. He was a pupil of Jean- François Portaels and Jean-Léon Gérôme in Paris. He spent some time in Rome, Naples, Florence, Pisa, Padua, Verona and Venice and visited Egypt, Spain and Morocco. He settled in Paris in 1890.
Between 1889 and 1900 Wauters contributed works to the Royal Academy in London. He was awarded no less than six Medals of Honor in Paris between 1878 and 1889; Munich, 1879; Antwerp, 1885; Vienna, 1888; and Berlin, 1883. He was a member of the Academy of Belgium and an honorary member of the Vienna, Berlin and Munich Academies and the corresponding member of the Institute de France and that of Madrid.
Museums & Galleries
Royal Academy, London
William Morris Gallery
Various Museums, Belgium
L. Solvay, ‘Notice sur Charles -Emile Wauters’, Annuaire de l’Académie Royale de Belgique 1935, p. 35-86
Anoniem, ‘Emile Wauters. Portretten en Landschappen’, Bulletin Koninklijke Bibliotheek Albert 1975, p. ?
L. van Santvoort, ‘De mise-en-scène van het 19de-eeuwse atelier’, Gentse bijdragen tot de interieurgeschiedenis 32 (2003), p. 113-130