fl. 1930s
Parish Church, Barnstaple

Ink print on tracing paper, signed bottom right and entitled bottom left
Image size: 6 x 8 inches (15.25 x 20.25 cm)
Mounted
£250

Barnstaple is a river port town in North Devon. The ancient town lies to the north of Dartmoor and to the west of the beautiful Exmoor National Park. The church that Hendy has depicted here is the town centre Parish Church of St Peter’s. Parts of the church date to the 13th-century with much restoration being done during the Victorian era by George Gilbert Scott and later by his son John Oldrid Scott which changed the atmosphere of the building, although many fine wall monuments and tablets remain.

 

William M. Hendy 

Hendy was a British comic book artist who published in Punch magazine and Fortnum and Mason catalogues on art in the 1920s and 1930s. He also did illustrations and art for books and catalogues in the 1920s through to the late 1930s. The artist was clearly interested in the architecture of churches and cathedrals and in 1924 he wrote and illustrated a book, published by Great Western Railways, that contained seventy-four drawings by the artist of Cathedrals from around the country.