Ernest John Vale Collier [also known as Ernest J. V. Collier] was born in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England in 1859. He was articled to John Colson (c.1819-1895) and afterwards remained as his assistant. By 1891 he had moved to Carmathan, Carmarthenshire, Wales where he was in practice as an architect. He was a Member of the Society of Architects (MSA) and in 1925 was admitted a Licentiate of the Royal Institute of British Architects (LRIBA).
In addition to his work as an architect, Collier was a watercolour artist. Although there is no evidence that he exhibited, a number of examples of his paintings are in the Carmarthenshire Museums Service Collection.