HMY Victoria and Albert was a twin-paddle steamer launched 25 April 1843. It functioned as a royal yacht of the sovereign, owned and operated by the Royal Navy. She was laid down in 1842 at Pembroke Dock and was designed by William Symonds.
She measured 1,034 tons burthen, carried two guns, and was the first royal yacht to be steam powered, being fitted with a 430 horsepower engine.
One of the notable features that distinguished the Royal Yacht from other paddle steamers of the time, was the extremely tall masts she carried. This was in order to fly the over-sized ensigns when Queen Victoria was onboard – the Royal Standard, the Admiralty Flag and the National Flag.